Financial Compliance Accountant
Location: South Plainfield, New Jersey, United States of America
Summary: Reporting to the Senior Manager, Process & Controls for our GENEWIZ business, this position is a high-impact, high-visibility opportunity, delivering excellence to our growth initiatives. We are seeking an individual contributor to provide technical accounting guidance and documentation around complex revenue recognition issues, and to take a lead role in developing and implementing enterprise level and product-line specific financial controls.
Controls Assessment, Process Documentation and Maintenance of Controls Environment
- Create process documentation, and continually validate/update that documentation to ensure control environment (e.g., process flows and control matrices) are kept current. Instill a cadence for periodic meetings/walkthroughs with process owners to ensure any changes to process are updated and properly assessed for control gaps. Support process owners through training, reviewing, and providing guidance for their processes.
- Facilitate, design and implement efficient and effective controls across the business.
- Execute periodic test plan for evaluating key controls for operating effectiveness. Execution will include testing, preparing work papers, and promptly facilitating the remediation of any exceptions with process owners in a timely manner.
- Facilitate requests between the control owners and the external audit team
- Assist Senior Manager, process & Controls for process related risk assessments to evaluate and address any impact the results may have on the financial and/or operational control environment.
- Build and manage relationships with Company stakeholders, while promoting the importance of compliance initiatives throughout the organization.
- Participate in other compliance initiatives and/or internal audit-related functions the company may engage
- Stay current to changes in regulatory guidance, industry best practices, and areas of focus/hot topics for external audits.
Revenue Recognition Guidance and Documentation
- Analyze customer contracts to identify complex provisions and advise on appropriate treatment under ASC 606
- Reconcile and review Deferred Revenue and prepare required adjusting entries
- Prepare documentation around revenue recognition accounting issues
- Review and support all revenue recognition disclosures in all SEC filings.
- Fulfill internal and external reporting requirements, including the external audit
- Manage monthly and quarterly revenue close process including monitoring, review, and analysis of revenue activity
Requires BS or MS in Accounting, Finance or equivalent (MBA a plus), and 5-7 years public and/or private accounting experience. A CPA is preferred. Must have knowledge of SOX and experience in applying audit principles/standards. The candidate will demonstrate experience in driving continuous improvement and process excellence, to include documenting processes; and completing process narratives and flowcharts. Excellent interpersonal skills (oral and written), as candidate must be able to work and communicate with individuals at all levels across the organization. Requires strong organizational and time management, attention to details, and problem-solving.