Scientist (Gene Synthesis)
Location: 2910 Fortune Circle West, Suite E, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America
At Azenta, formally Brooks Life Sciences, new ideas, new technologies and new ways of thinking are driving our future. Our customer-focused culture encourages employees to embrace innovation and challenge the status quo with novel thinking and collaborative work relationships.
All we accomplish is grounded in our core values of Customer Focus, Achievement, Accountability, Teamwork, Employee Value and Integrity. At Azenta, we are dedicated to enabling life sciences organizations around the world to bring impactful breakthroughs and therapies to market – faster.
Azenta Life Sciences is looking for a Scientist II in Indianapolis, IN. The successful candidate will directly and independently lead daily lab operations to ensure maintenance of operational excellence.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of gene synthesis workflows using standard molecular biology tools
- Enable high-throughput gene synthesis platform by converting molecular biology concepts into automation design and implementation.
- Independently execute laboratory experiments and data analysis with an emphasis on providing appropriate context for data and experiments in the progress of programs and/or platforms
- Help junior staff in troubleshooting and addressing unforeseen issues in gene synthesis workflow to meet customer expectations
- Support customer facing teams by providing information about manufacturing practices including quality control metrics, reagents used, and any other related documentation.
- Identify bottle necks in the gene synthesis workflow and identify process improvement and new service development aligning with business needs.
- Work in a matrix team environment to enable optimal delivery of project and teams’ objectives to the highest possible scientific standard
- Hands-on experience with primer design, plasmid design, sequence manipulation tools like VectorNTI or DNA-STAR.
- Extensive experience with plasmid DNA extraction, ligation, restriction digestion, PCR.
- Expertise in different cloning strategies such as Gibson assembly, In-fusion, Gateway cloning, Golden Gate cloning etc.
- Experience with the genetic manipulation of prokaryotic organisms or yeast genetics is highly desirable
- Experience with automation or high throughput enabling equipment / workflows is desirable
- Knowledge of oligonucleotide manufacturing including synthesis, liquid handling, purification and quality control (including mass spectroscopy)
- PhD in Microbiology, Molecular Biology or related field, plus 0-3 years of directly related experience. Master’s degree plus 3+ years of directly-related experience will be considered.
- Must be reliable, organized, detail oriented, and a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision
- Must have positive and customer-oriented mindset.
- Ability to quickly integrate into a fast-paced team, learning new techniques and protocols as needed
- Excellent communication and reading/writing skills
- Strong team-player and able to work well in small groups and independently