Scientist (Gene Synthesis)
Location: 2910 Fortune Circle West, Suite E, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America
GENEWIZ, a Brooks Life Sciences Company is looking for a Scientist II in Indianapolis, IN. The successful candidate will directly and independently lead daily lab operations to ensure maintenance of operational excellence.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of gene synthesis workflows using standard molecular biology tools
- Enable high-throughput gene synthesis platform by converting molecular biology concepts into automation design and implementation.
- Independently execute laboratory experiments and data analysis with an emphasis on providing appropriate context for data and experiments in the progress of programs and/or platforms
- Help junior staff in troubleshooting and addressing unforeseen issues in gene synthesis workflow to meet customer expectations
- Support customer facing teams by providing information about manufacturing practices including quality control metrics, reagents used, and any other related documentation.
- Identify bottle necks in the gene synthesis workflow and identify process improvement and new service development aligning with business needs.
- Work in a matrix team environment to enable optimal delivery of project and teams’ objectives to the highest possible scientific standard
- Hands-on experience with primer design, plasmid design, sequence manipulation tools like VectorNTI or DNA-STAR.
- Extensive experience with plasmid DNA extraction, ligation, restriction digestion, PCR.
- Expertise in different cloning strategies such as Gibson assembly, In-fusion, Gateway cloning, Golden Gate cloning etc.
- Experience with the genetic manipulation of prokaryotic organisms or yeast genetics is highly desirable
- Experience with automation or high throughput enabling equipment / workflows is desirable
- Knowledge of oligonucleotide manufacturing including synthesis, liquid handling, purification and quality control (including mass spectroscopy)
- PhD in Microbiology, Molecular Biology or related field, plus 0-3 years of directly related experience. Master’s degree plus 3+ years of directly-related experience will be considered.
- Must be reliable, organized, detail oriented, and a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision
- Must have positive and customer-oriented mindset.
- Ability to quickly integrate into a fast-paced team, learning new techniques and protocols as needed
- Excellent communication and reading/writing skills
- Strong team-player and able to work well in small groups and independently